Railway Planning and Operation Specialist International
Objective/Purpose of assignment:
The European Union (EU) has contributed $21 million equivalent under Grant No. 0423 (the Grant), which forms part of the Transport Network Development Investment Program (TNDIP) Tranche 4 administered by the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The Grant became effective on 25 March 2015, and would be closed 21 September 2021. A number of work components were included under the Grant, with the Ministry of Public Works taking the overall lead. One portion of the financing amounted to almost $8.7 million to strengthen the institutional capacity building of the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA). This component will be referred to as the ARA capacity building project (the project).
This position will aim at strengthening the capacity and performance of ARA team/assigned group in delivering the EU project components, and eventually managing capacity building of current team through this technical assistance.
The Afghanistan National Railway Plan (ANRP) was developed on the basis of Afghanistan’s urgent need for a national transportation system as a precursor of economic development and political stability in the country. Expansion of Afghanistan’s national railway will ultimately allow Afghanistan to improve its trade, provide transit and complement in transportation in its first phase of railway infrastructure development. Which shall eventually export minerals and agriculture products in time to come to significantly enhance its position as a regional trading partner, improve internal lines of communication, and link products, consumers, and markets across Eurasia and beyond. In order to implement the railway infrastructure plan, the technical coordinator shall ensure that the work processes on adoption of railway technology are properly planned right from the identification of rail routes to the infrastructure development and delivery of integrated projects on railways and auxiliary services.
For better operation in Afghanistan railway stations, ARA would like to hire an international railway planning & operation specialist. The specialist would be responsible to prepare long term and short-term railway development plan for operation of railways in Afghanistan and Analyze provincial reports to ensure that proper management and basic activities of railroad are in accordance with the international norms and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Consultant is the de factor senior officer of planning and operations, he/she is responsible for the wellbeing/growth of the team. The consultant utilizes the capacity building component to grow a team with high capability, motivation and profile, as well as with a culture of performance, integrity and transparency;
- Prepare long term and short-term railway development plan for operation of railways in Afghanistan.
- Prepare draft railway legal framework and regulations in the field of Railway Operation.
- Assist in finalizing concession agreement for operation of the railway lines, assist and advise the Afghanistan Railway Authority “ARA” in implementing the operation of the All railways routes and stations.
- Assist and advice the Afghanistan Railway Authority in all activities related to the operation.
- Prepare, develop and undertake theoretical and practical training programs related to operation of railways for all Technical and Management staffs in the Kabul main office and provinces (stations and Railway routes).
- Assist the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA) in laying down the procedures for concession of the railway’s assets, mainly the Management and operation of Hairatan – Mazar-e-sharif railway line.
- Analyze provincial reports to ensure that proper management and basic activities of railroad, signaling and communications are in accordance with the international norms and standards.
- Assist in managing the entire operation arrangements of all railway stations and railway lines in Afghanistan and ensure that the arrangements are in accordance with international operation standards.
- Monitoring and Supervision of operational procedures for coordination of operation and compliance with operating standards in accordance with railway rules.
- Inspect issues and problems related to operation, provide suitable plans and solutions for them.
- Planning, developing, and transferring professional skills through workshops, seminars and workflow training to ARA’s staff.
- Provide guidelines for monitoring the performance of the Railway operation, develop specific, real and measurable performance indicators for operations of the railway related to relevant international standards which will subsequently be used to assess the effectiveness of the railway operation.
- The specialist will travel to provinces to manage and observe the railway operation and also to conduct theoretical and practical training programs.
- Submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports to the head of operation department.
- Respect and lead team members to perform work responsibilities according to the Railway Standards.
- Assist Railroad Team to adjust/change plans, schedules and staffing to meet customer and operational needs. Ensure daily maximum work production for railroad employees.
- Consistently maintain on-time performance targets and ensure objectives are met while continually improving operations to maximize production.
- Ensure all daily, weekly, and monthly, etc. inspections are performed, reviewed and addressed.
- Responsible for training railroad employees to perform duties and responsibilities as safely, efficiently and effectively as possible. Ensures railroad employees are performing at optimum production levels and contributes to the overall production and efficiency of the operations.
- Be keenly aware of railroad expenses and ensure operation within budgetary guidelines.
- Maintain consistent open lines of communication with all levels within the organization and promote team atmosphere within Railroad Operations and ensure open lines of communication with team; share railroad operations experience and develop knowledge base of railroad employees.
- Provides the highest quality professional and technical assistance to internal staff; Maintain professional and courteous relationships with all departments within the ARA.
- Attend departmental meetings and safety meeting when scheduled.
- All other duties as directed by management representatives.
Skills, Experience Qualifications Required:
- Master’s degree in railway planning & operation engineering
- Minimum 10 + years of railway operation experience in CIS countries
- Computer literate
- Demonstrated verbal/oral skills
- Strong technical writing ability
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships
- Quality Control / Quality Assurance experience
- Professional registration preferred
- Leadership, Innovation, People Management, Communication and Delivery on time in the result-based framework.
- Domain Knowledge of Railway engineering, track, infrastructure management for the transportation and railway sector, desired
- Adherence to the values, ethics and standards that are guiding principle and strategic vision of the Organization
- Demonstrate measurable pattern of knowledge, skills, abilities, behavior, and other characteristics that are aligned with the Vision, Mission and Goals of Afghanistan Railway Authority
- Possess observational, analytical and issue log development for setting up standards and benchmarks
- Ability to be multi-tasking and working under pressure – owing to the fragile situation
- Team Work and Decision-making abilities
- Innovative on promoting the Private Sector Development and PPP in the Railway Sector
Interested applicants shall apply online through the link provided below.
Applicants who don’t apply online, will not be shortlisted.