Environment Safeguard Specialist
Duty Station: ARA/EU Project, Kabul
Objective/Purpose of the Assignment:
Railways are a vital mode of transportation to facilitate domestic and regional connectivity and can also significantly contribute to economic growth and help promote a market-led economic environment that fosters private sector participation. After decades of conflict which has severely damaged Afghanistan’s transport infrastructure, Afghanistan has an urgent need for an upgraded national transportation system as a precursor to economic development and to support political stability in the country. The expansion of Afghani¬stan's current national railway system will ultimately allow Afghanistan to export minerals and agricultural products and will significantly enhance its position as a regional trading partner by linking it to products, consumers and markets across Eurasia and beyond, as well im¬proving internal lines of communication within the country. A successful development and operation of Afghanistan railways bears a tremendous opportunity to create new and support existing prospects for the economic growth not just for the country but also for the neighboring countries from the central and south Asia.
One portion of the financing supports to strengthen the institutional capacity building of the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA). This component will be referred to as the ARA capacity building project (the project).
This position will aim at strengthening the capacity and performance of ARA team/assigned group in delivering the EU project components, and eventually managing capacity building of current design and projecting team through this technical assistance.
Scope of Work:
The main objectives of the Environment Safeguard Specialist assignment is to assess the environmental impact of the ARA’s projects, support the preparation of the Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP), Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP), and stakeholders capacity building plan, organize and implement consultation activities of ARA. The Environment Safeguard Specialist will also contribute in developing the project implementation and technical manuals.
• Work with other Department’s Environment safeguards team to ensure that appropriate resources and capacity is deployed to effectively cover the environmental policies of projects in preparation and implementation within the Afghanistan Railway Authority;
• Assist in the development process of an Environmental and Social Safeguards guideline in consultation with the ADB Office to be used by line ministries in the plan and implementation process of financed projects and programs;
• Prepare Environmental and Social safeguard Plans and ensure that such plans are approved by relevant authorities before implementation;
• Lead, identify, assess, and monitor overall capacity building needs on environmental safeguards
within the department, including divisions and resident missions, and among clients;
• Lead in providing safeguard training to ARA staff, and prepare and administer relevant capacity development programs;
• Prepare report (monthly, quarterly, field monitoring) on the safeguard risks with appropriate actions to be taken for all sub projects and ensure that timely actions are taken;
• Undertake an environmental and social risk categorization;
• Identify challenges, opportunities, priorities and needs for the development and implementation of the project’s safeguard Plan and implementation at all levels;
• Provide technical support during proposal development, project design, appraisal process and resource mobilization plan for the sub projects in all locations;
• Attend departmental meetings related to social safeguard when scheduled;
• All other duties as directed by management representatives;
• Helps colleagues work effectively with clients in different contexts and from diverse backgrounds and country situations.
• Regularly contributes insights and experiences to colleagues in the Division to help them achieve
• Overcomes unexpected difficulties and challenges to produce desired outcomes.
• Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department.
• Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments.
• Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader.
• Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance.
• Ability and strong willingness to work with people of different cultural backgrounds;
• Ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes;
• Ability to work with minimum supervision;
• The great ability of teamwork;
• Creative and smart to find multiple solutions for problems.
Under guidance, and management by the specialist, the team will be trained and motivated for doing the tasks on time, effectively and full compliance with ADB/ARA policy and procedures and to build capacity of ARA national staff. The candidate will report to Deputy ARA Finance/Admin & Project Manager.
Minimum Qualifications Requirements
• Master’s degree or advanced degree in Environmental Studies or Environmental Economics or Natural Resource Management or relevant field is required.
• At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in social safeguards work, or related area and in project administration.
• Analytical ability practical problem-solving skills and resourcefulness in performing varied tasks in the area.
• Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Ability to travel as required to job sites.
• Competent with software applications including Acrobat Professional, MS Excel & MS Word.
• Comfortable with interacting with the client in a group setting and individually.
• Punctual, reliable and with a strong attention to detail.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Fluency in computer usage.