Railway Maintenance Specialist International
Objective/Purpose of assignment:
The European Union (EU) has contributed $21 million equivalent under Grant No. 0423 (the Grant), which forms part of the Transport Network Development Investment Program (TNDIP) Tranche 4 administered by the Asian Development Bank (ADB). The Grant became effective on 25 March 2015, and would be closed 21 September 2021. A number of work components were included under the Grant, with the Ministry of Public Works taking the overall lead. One portion of the financing amounted to almost $8.7 million to strengthen the institutional capacity building of the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA). This component will be referred to as the ARA capacity building project (the project).
This position will aim at strengthening the capacity and performance of ARA team/assigned group in delivering the EU project components, and eventually managing capacity building of current team through this technical assistance.
The Afghanistan National Railway Plan (ANRP) was developed on the basis of Afghanistan’s urgent need for a national transportation system as a precursor of economic development and political stability in the country. Expansion of Afghanistan’s national railway will ultimately allow Afghanistan to improve its trade, provide transit and complement in transportation in its first phase of railway infrastructure development. Which shall eventually export minerals and agriculture products in time to come to significantly enhance its position as a regional trading partner, improve internal lines of communication, and link products, consumers, and markets across Eurasia and beyond. In order to implement the railway infrastructure plan, the technical coordinator shall ensure that the work processes on adoption of railway technology are properly planned right from the identification of rail routes to the infrastructure development and delivery of integrated projects on railways and auxiliary services.
In order to have a better railway system, a railway maintenance specialist is required to help Afghanistan Railway Authority to prepare long term and short-term railway development plan for maintenance of railways in Afghanistan. Meanwhile the international maintenance specialist would be responsible to analyze provincial reports to ensure that proper management and basic activities of railroad are in accordance with the international norms and standards.
Job description for International Rail Maintenance Specialist
- The Consultant is the de factor senior officer in maintenance of railway, he/she is responsible for the wellbeing/growth of the team. The consultant utilizes the capacity building component to grow a team with high capability, motivation and profile, as well as with a culture of performance, integrity and transparency;
- Prepare long term and short-term railway development plan for maintenance of railways in Afghanistan.
- Prepare draft railway legal framework and regulations in the field of Railway Maintenance.
- Assist and advice the Afghanistan Railway Authority in all activities related to the Maintenance.
- Prepare, develop and undertake theoretical and practical training programs related to Maintenance of railways for all technical staffs in the Kabul main office and provinces (stations and Railway routes).
- Assist the Afghanistan Railway Authority (ARA) in laying down the procedures for concession of the railway’s assets, mainly the Management and Maintenance of Hairatan – Mazar-e-sharif railway line.
- Assess the situation of railway by site-visits, review of available manuals and maintenance procedures, assessment reports and discussions with major stakeholders such as operations staff and feedback from users.
- Support the O&M-staff in planning and carrying-out the day-to-day repair and maintenance and plan maintenance works, staffing and materials supply to ensure that sufficient numbers of trains are in serviceable condition as required to cover the revenue operations.
- Update an integrated operation and maintenance plan based on the available infrastructure, traffic demand and needs for daily maintenance and short-term updates and repairs of the system.
- Assess the inventory of spare parts and consumables available to run the system.
- Establish a procurement plan, update technical specifications for procurement of spare parts and consumables required during the initial O&M-period.
- Inspecting the track (both visually and using measuring equipment) for signs of damage or deterioration.
- Checking that the rails are stable and properly aligned to cope with the speed and weight of the trains using them.
- Prioritizing work and organizing appropriate materials, equipment and staff to be onsite.
- Submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports to the head of operation department.
- Attend departmental meetings when scheduled.
- All other duties as directed by management representatives.
Skills, Experience Qualifications Required:
- Master’s degree in railway engineering
- Minimum 10 + years of railway maintenance experience in CIS countries
- Computer literate
- Demonstrated verbal/oral skills
- Strong technical writing ability
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong client relationships
- Quality Control / Quality Assurance experience
- Professional registration preferred
- Leadership, Innovation, People Management, Communication and Delivery on time in the result-based framework.
- Domain Knowledge of Railway engineering, track, infrastructure management for the transportation and railway sector, desired
- Adherence to the values, ethics and standards that are guiding principle and strategic vision of the Organization
- Demonstrate measurable pattern of knowledge, skills, abilities, behavior, and other characteristics that are aligned with the Vision, Mission and Goals of Afghanistan Railway Authority
- Possess observational, analytical and issue log development for setting up standards and benchmarks
- Ability to be multi-tasking and working under pressure – owing to the fragile situation
- Team Work and Decision-making abilities
- Innovative on promoting the Private Sector Development and PPP in the Railway Sector
Interested applicants shall apply online through the link provided below.
Applicants who don’t apply online, will not be shortlisted.